MISSION: TO SERVE EVERY STUDENT WITH EXCELLENCE AS THE STANDARD
Educational Services Facility
2:00 p.m.

October 11, 2022 Board Work Session
Opening Exercises
1. Opening Exercises

Chairman Belford called the meeting to order at 2:00 p.m.

Roll Call
2. Roll Call

Members Present:  Misty Belford, Cheryl McDougall, Jennifer Jenkins, Matt Susin and Katye Campbell

Pledge of Allegiance
3. Pledge of Allegiance

Ms. Belford led the pledge of allegiance.

Order of Business
4. Andrew Jackson Middle School's Proposed Name Retirement
Memo - Andrew Jackson MS renaming 10-04-22.pdf
Jackson MS Supporting Documents.pdf

Dr. Stephanie Soliven, Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Leading & Learning, provided the Board with an update on the proposed Andrew Jackson Middle School’s Name Retirement.  

Discussion ensued among the Board on direction for moving forward.  It was deteremined that there was not enough support to proceed with the name change and no further action will be considered at this time. 

5. Proposed Attendance Boundary Change: Southwest Middle to Stone Magnet Middle School
Southwest to Stone Attendance Boundary Change.pdf
Development Data - Stone.Southwest Middle.pdf

Sue Hann, Assistant Superintendent of Facilities, presented the Proposed Attendance Boundary Change:  Southwest Middle to Stone Magnet Middle to the Board. 

Discussion and follow-up questions ensued pertaining to the topic.  

6. Board Policy 2410 School Health Services
po2410 with Coverpages for Upload.pdf

The Board received an update on the suggested changes within the policy. 

Ms. Campbell suggested to add Mental Health back into section D of the policy.

No additional changes were recommended by the Board.

7. Board Policy 2416 Student Privacy and Parental Access to Information
po2416 with Coverpages for Upload.pdf

The Board received an update on the suggested changes within the policy.   

No additional changes were recommended by the Board.

8. Board Policy 2431 Interscholastic Athletics
po 2431 with Coverpages for Upload.pdf

The Board received an update on the suggested changes within the policy.   

Mr. Susin made the following suggestions:

  • Remove the clause that doesn't allow middle schools to participate in out-of-county games, unless there is a true justification as to why not.
  • Remove the minimum of one quarter requirement and expand intramurals to give more students the opportunity to play.

Discussion ensued among the Board and Dr. Mullins pertaining to Mr. Susin's recommended changes.  

Mr. Susin asked Ms. Moore to speak to the coaches before the policy is finalized to see if they would be interested to play outside of the county.  He further explained why this would benefit our students.

Dr. Mullins stated that we could speak to coaches if it is the desire of the Board, but explained potential barriers of making Mr. Susin's suggested changes and also shared areas we would need to consider should we move in this direction.

Mr. Susin asked Ms. Moore to ask coaches if they would like to join and compete in FHSAA sports.

Ms. Moore shared who they typically request feedback from at schools and why.  She stated that if we move forward she would need clear direction as to what she is investigating.  Dr. Mullins stated that when a significant change is made to our district practice there is a period of time when we do a comprehensive evaluation and it is brought back to the Board.  He stated that in this case it seems to be a considerable change to the philosophy of Brevard Public School's middle school athletics, which is not wrong because it has been a long time since evaluating, but if that is the direction of the Board staff would need some time.

Mr. Susin would like the following questions asked of the coaches:  Would you like to join FHSAA and would you like to play outside the county.  He stated that the will of the Board doesn't matter for him to just request this information.  He explained that he doesn't want to create change, but wants to know from the heart of those coaches.

Mr. Susin stated that this policy doesn't fit our district.  He shared that many of our sports are not divided into quarters.  Mr. Susin said the policy needs to be reworded as it was only worded for basketball and asked that it is looked at before coming back before the Board.

Ms. Campbell stated that the Board could reach out to coaches for the information.  She explained that if these changes are not the will of the Board, she would not want to put this additional work on staff.  Ms. Campbell also shared that we are in the middle of the Reimagining Middle Schools process and we will not only have the opportunity to hear from coaches and staff, but we will be able to hear from parents... she would suggest that we may hear from our community that our middle schools need to be more sports driven, etc.  Ms. Campbell explained that she wouldn't want to take on this new initiative until we receive the input/data from the Reimagining Middle Schools.  

Mr. Susin stated that his request to ask the coaches the two questions can be merely an email and would not take much time and he would like to still see this information.  He agreed that it should be a component in the Reimaging Middle School process.

Mr. Susin continued to make additional suggestions for revision, which include:

  • Remove the timeline for when homeschool students can make the decision to participate.
  • Add within the policy an opportunity for a student to go to another school to play a sport that is not offered at their school as long as it doesn't inhibit the education of the school that they are in.

Ms. Belford stated that she understands that these are items that need Board discussion, but it would have been beneficial to staff and the Board if the questions were submitted two weeks ago when we got the agenda so that research could have been done and the Board could discuss.  She shared that the next time it comes to the Board we can't make changes without it going back through the policy process.  Ms. Belford stated that this meeting is our opportunity to make the changes and we don't have the information we need to in order to opt to support the changes being requested.  Ms. Belford also asked that the Board sticks with the practice of asking Dr. Mullins to get the information instead of giving direction to his staff.

Mr. Susin stated that this is the first time that the public gets to see the policies and the issues he has discussed have been in many emails from constituents for many years.  Ms. Belford stated that she was not suggesting that we should not be discussing it, she feels bad as a fellow Board Member that she doesn't have the information in order for her to determine if we should move forward with the suggested changes before the next meeting.  She provided an example of how Ms. Campbell submitted her questions and the Board received the responses which allowed them to be prepared to make a recommendation at the meeting.  Ms. Belford stated it is difficult to give a thumbs up when they don't have the information.  Mr. Susin stated that he is not requesting the Board make a decision on the changes before the next October meeting, he is merely bringing up all the items in public so they understand where he stands and the information being requested so that if it does come back, the Board can discuss.

Mr. Susin continued to make additional suggestions for revision, which include:

  • He requested the data on how many students opted out of an EKG.  Based on this number, he would possibly like to make a recommendation to mandate the EKG policy. 
  • Give all intramural students, at the end of their program, the opportunity to play in a county-wide competition.  If the district does not feel comfortable with it, he would like to allow an outside vendor to hold a championship game.


 

9. Board Policy 3213 Student Supervision and Welfare
po 3213 Student Supervision and Welfare with Coverpages for Upload.pdf

The Board received an update on the suggested changes within the policy.   

No additional changes were recommended by the Board.

10. Board Policy 5200 Attendance
1 - po 5200 with Coverpages for Upload.pdf

The Board received an update on the suggested changes within the policy.   

No additional changes were recommended by the Board.

11. Board Policy 5710 Student And Parent/Legal Guardian Complaints
1 - po5710 with Coverpages for Upload.pdf

The Board received an update on the suggested changes within the policy.   

No additional changes were recommended by the Board.

12. Board Policy 5751 Parental-Married Status of Students
po5751 Parental-Married Status of Students with Coverpages for Upload.pdf

The Board received an update on the suggested changes within the policy.   

No additional changes were recommended by the Board.
 

13. Board Policy 5780 Parent Rights / Student Rights
5780 - po with Coverpages for Upload.pdf

The Board received an update on the suggested changes within the policy.   

Ms. Campbell asked that information in #1 be reiterated in #2 to include a statement about a court order.

14. Board Policy 6520 Payroll Deduction
1 - po6520 and Forms Coverpages For Upload.pdf

The Board received an update on the suggested changes within the policy.   

No additional changes were recommended by the Board.

Closing Remarks
15. Closing Remarks
Adjournment
16. Adjournment

Chairman Belford adjourned the meeting at 3:44 p.m.

Chairman: ___________________________________ Secretary: ___________________________________

NOTES:  

  • Brevard Public Schools Television (BPS-TV) will broadcast this meeting live on Spectrum cable channel 496.   Board meetings are also available as streaming video on the district web page at www.brevardschools.org and YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/c/BrevardSchools.   
  • Sensory and mobility impaired persons seeking assistance for participation in any meeting, conference, or seminar should contact Karyle Green, Director, Labor Relations, five days prior to the meeting date.  Dr. Green may be reached at 321-633-1000, ext. 11266 (voice) or green.karyle@brevardschools.org (email).
  • Individuals or groups may address comments to the School Board during the Rule Development portion of the meeting specific to the policy being discussed.  There will be no other opportunity to public comment during workshops.
Agenda Plus