MISSION: TO SERVE EVERY STUDENT WITH EXCELLENCE AS THE STANDARD
Educational Services Facility
9:00 a.m.

January 24, 2023 Board Work Session
Opening Exercises
1. Opening Exercises

Chairman Matt Susin called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m.

Roll Call
2. Roll Call

Members Present:  Megan Wright, Gene Trent, Jennifer Jenkins, Matt Susin and Katye Campbell.

Pledge of Allegiance
3. Pledge of Allegiance

Chairman Susin led the Pledge of Allegiance.

Order of Business
4. Discipline Follow-Up

Dr. Schiller provided an overview on his proposed go forward plan pertaining to discipline.  The purpose of his proposed plan is to:

  • Initiate resolution of outstanding issues related to discipline, et.al, but not limited to Board policies; administrative regulations; prevailing statutes; BPS procedures/protocols and implementation at school sites; training.
  • Determine roles and responsibilities of other committees and external entities operating within this area of concentration.
  • Work the problem and problem solve as soon as possible, but no later than the March 2023 Board meeting.

Discussion ensued among the Board pertaining to this topic.  Some suggestions for future implementation moving forward included:

  • Professional Development Program
  • Set Clear Standards and Follow Through
  • Continued Implementation of Current Policies

Mr. Susin shared discipline concerns he has heard from Union representatives and principals since the implementation of enforcing current policies set at the December 8 Special Board Meeting.  Discussion ensued among Board Members pertaining to this area.

Mr. Susin provided the Board an opportunity to discuss our current cell phone policy and zero tolerance policy for potential recommendations moving forward.  The Board provided direction for the Superintendent to work with staff in reviewing our current policies and, if needed, bring back recommendations for changes at a future meeting. 

Dr. Schiller further explained steps within his go forward plan pertaining to discipline, to include the use of RSM to conduct a discipline audit.  Dr. Schiller asked Mr. Gibbs to provide clarification to the Board on their options for moving forward to utilize RSM for this audit.  The Board was in support of the RSM audit and requested to swap out property control in order to have it completed at no cost. Mr. Susin requested to receive all data reviewed by RSM during this audit process.  

Dr. Schiller provided information to the Board pertaining to his suggestion to create a steering committee.  The Board was in support of Dr. Schiller's recommendation on the development of a steering committee and will await RSM's data to determine the next phase of the process and to provide clarity for the purpose of committees.

The Board requested to see any reports from the Office of Safe Schools that have/will be provided to the district.

Topics for future conversations include:

  • Alternatives to the ALC
    • Provide Extra Support to Schools
    • Use of Millage for Additional Staffing
    • Consideration of a K-5 ALC
    • Change of 3 Days Off
    • ALC Alternative / Having Students Come Back
  • In School Suspensions
  • Funds to Properly Staff Schools to Address Discipline
  • Professional Development Programs for Staff
  • Dress Code Policy

Dr. Schiller stated that he and staff will provide a budget allocated to the Board's priorities.  He suggested adding this conversation to a February meeting.

 

5. Policy Review Schedule

Dr. Schiller provided his recommendations for moving forward to address reviewing policies.  The Board supported Dr. Schiller's plan and discussed the need for potential future dates.

The following schedule was determined to review all policies and to have them all marked as "reviewed" on the official document housed online:

  • February:  Policies 0000
  • March:  Policies 1000 & 2000
  • April:  Policies 3000
  • May:  Policies 5000
  • June: Policies 6000 & 7000
  • July:  Policies 8000 & 9000


________________________________
Chairman Susin called for a break at 11:57 a.m.  The meeting resumed at 12:59 p.m.
________________________________

6. Interim Reorganization Plan Recommendations
Interim Reorganization Plan Org Chart.pdf
Interim Reorganization Salary Savings - Revised.pdf

Dr. Schiller provided the Board with an overview of his recommended interim reorganization plan.  Discussion ensued among the Board pertaining to the plan.  The majority of the Board were in support of Dr. Schiller's recommended interim plan.

7. Facilities Naming - Edgewood Jr/Sr High School and Stone Middle School
Memo - Facility naming for Stone and Edgewood.pdf

Dr. Soliven, Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Leading & Learning, provided the Board with an update pertaining to the facilities naming of Edgewood Jr/Sr and Stone Middle.  This topic will be brought before the Board for approval at a future meeting.

8. New Middle School Attendance Boundary Change Process
New Middle School Attendance Boundary School Board Workshop Presentation 01.17.2023.pdf
ap7110 Attendance Boundary Change Procedure.pdf

Ms. Hann, Assistant Superintendent of Facilities Services, provided the Board with an update on the new middle school attendance boundary change process.  Discussion ensued among the Board pertaining to the process to include questions that were answered by Ms. Hann.  

 

________________________________
Chairman Susin called for a break at 2:42 p.m.  The meeting resumed at 2:52 p.m.
________________________________

9. Board Policy 2521 - Instructional Materials Program
1 - po2521 with Coverpages for Upload.pdf

Ms. Cline, Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Leading & Learning, provided the Board with the proposed changes to Board Policy 2521 - Instructional Materials Program.  Discussion ensued among the Board, including questions answered by Ms. Cline and/or Dr. Soliven, Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Leading & Learning.  

Mr. Susin suggested providing additional Board representatives to create more committees in order to quicken the process.  Leading & Learning will provide the Board with updates on future reviews in order to determine the need for additional committees.

10. Superintendent Search Timeline and Online Survey
Brevard Timeline - DRAFT.pdf
Survey DRAFT (1) (002).pdf

FSBA reviewed their proposed draft timeline with the Board and asked how many community meetings they'd like to have throughout the district.  The Board agreed to have four community meetings at various schools.  Additional discussion ensued pertaining to the timeline.  The final timeline will be placed on the district website for public access.

FSBA reviewed the survey categories and the Board's top 10 selections for each area, along with their recommendations.  The Board was in support of FSBA's recommendations.  The survey will be updated this evening and within the next couple of days, it will be provided to ET.  

Closing Remarks
11. Closing Remarks

Ms. Campbell discussed the School Board Working Guidelines which were reviewed and approved by the Board at the January 9 Work Session. She reiterated some of guidelines within the document so the Board is cognizant of their agreed upon roles as a Board Member.  Ms. Campbell expressed concerns pertaining to Mr. Susin speaking at the Legislative Delegation meeting.  Mr. Susin asked Ms. Campbell to send him all of her concerns so that he can address each area and read a portion of the Board Member bylaws.

Ms. Jenkins requested follow-up on the procedure of having an outside counsel review all public records requests made by a Board Member on another Board Member.  She requested justification as to why we are utilizing an outside counsel at an additional cost to the district.  In addition, Ms. Jenkins requested the status on the opinion from the Attorney General in regards to public record requests on Mr. Susin's personal phone pertaining to Board business.  Mr. Gibbs stated that the district worked with our outside counsel hired by Dr. Mullins to do the PRR reviews.  Mr. Gibbs stated that he has already put together the letter to the Attorney General and shared with the Board Chair to ensure agreement of its content.  Mr. Gibbs stated that they have had an issue which he planned to brief the Board on later this week pertaining to our legal ability to sign the certification that is required as part of the AGO process where you have to certify that there is no ongoing litigations on the matter.  Mr. Susin explained to Ms. Jenkins the reason the district is utilizing an outside counsel to address these public records requests, which was due to the abundance of requests made.  He stated that Dr. Mullins made the decision to use the outside counsel to remove district staff from the process.  Mr. Susin further explained the cost, which is $325 per hour.  He also stated that there should also be a cost submitted by the Board Member who is gathering the records. 

Adjournment
12. Adjournment

Chairman Susin adjourned the meeting at 3:49 p.m.

Chairman: ___________________________________ Secretary: ___________________________________

NOTES:  

  • Brevard Public Schools Television (BPS-TV) will broadcast this meeting live on Spectrum cable channel 496.   Board meetings are also available as streaming video on the district web page at www.brevardschools.org and YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/c/BrevardSchools.   
  • Sensory and mobility impaired persons seeking assistance for participation in any meeting, conference, or seminar should contact Karyle Green, Director, Labor Relations, five days prior to the meeting date.  Dr. Green may be reached at 321-633-1000, ext. 11266 (voice) or green.karyle@brevardschools.org (email).
  • Individuals or groups may address comments to the School Board during the Rule Development portion of the meeting specific to the policy being discussed.  There will be no other opportunity to public comment during workshops.
Agenda Plus