MISSION: TO SERVE EVERY STUDENT WITH EXCELLENCE AS THE STANDARD
Educational Services Facility
2:00 p.m.
 

February 11, 2020 Board Workshop and Rule Development

The School Board of Brevard County, Florida met for a policy Rule Development Workshop and Board Workshop on Athletics, at the Educational Services Facility, 2700 Judge Fran Jamieson Way, Viera, Florida. Notice of the meeting was advertised in the Eagle newspaper on Thursday, January 23, 2020. The affidavit of publication with a copy of the ad attached is filed in the Affidavit File in the Board Office.

 

Opening Exercises
1. Opening Exercises

Chairman Belford began the workshop at: 2:05 p.m.

***The video equipment was not functioning at the beginning of the meeting.  A portable camera was brought in at 2:20 p.m.***

Roll Call
2. Roll Call

Members Present:  Misty Belford, Cheryl McDougall, Tina Descovich, Matt Susin and Katye Campbell

Pledge of Allegiance
3. Pledge of Allegiance

Chairman Belford led the Pledge of Allegiance.

Order of Business
Rule Development (Policy)
4. Board Policy 2216 Gifted Education
2216 Exe. Summary and New Proposed Policy (2-6-20).pdf

Jane Cline, Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Leading and Learning, provided the executive summary.  Chairman Belford asked if there was anyone present who wished to address publicly Policy 2216 Gifted Education.

  • There were no speakers.
     

Ms. Cline explained the reason for the new policy and introduced Amanda Howell, Gifted Education Content Specialist, who helped implement the entire gifted education plan. Currently all eight year old students are screened for the gifted program.  Ms. Descovich expressed excitement over the possibilities that will be afforded to our students.  She stated that there has not been anything uniform in our gifted education.
 

There were questions about gifted classes.  Ms. Cline said that gifted student education is FTE generated and it takes 30-45 students for one half-time teacher; 46-90 students for one full-time teacher and 91 and above students for one full-time and one half-time teachers.  Ms. Descovich asked Ms. Howell to send her the gifted student education program guide.
 

Ms. Cline stated that we are moving in the right direction.  She commented that they have to work on training teachers and exposing what the gifted program should look like. She said that next November there is a national gifted teacher conference in Orlando and they will be sending as many teachers as they have funds.
  

Ms. Campbell asked if they were happy with the screening tools being utilized.  Ms. Howell discussed the various screeners and said they account for biases. Ms. Campbell additionally asked what the policy was modeled after since NEOLA does not have a gifted policy.  Ms. Cline responded that the main model for the policy was the one from Broward.
 

Ms. Belford thanked everyone involved and is excited to see this all come to fruition.  Ideally she would like to see gifted students in a gifted class all day.  Ms. Cline thanked the Board for making this a priority. 

 

Ms. Descovich asked how we make sure that student Education Plans are being met.  Ms. Cline said that they have been working on policies with principals and the fidelity of implementation and fidelity of work.  They will add the Education Plans into the pacing guides.  Ms. Descovich asked if there is somewhere that parents can look to find out what a gifted program should look like.  Ms. Cline stated that the gifted guides are under the Leading and Learning website.

 

Order of Business
5. Athletics
Athletic Expenses - Board Workshop on 2 11 20 Rev_2.10.20.pptx
athletic facilities presentation.pdf

Chris Moore, Assistant Superintendent of Student Services stated that athletic expenses are going to be rising and they will have to make some decisions. Board members will be shown the problems and be presented with some possible solutions.  The ultimate goal is to get some direction from the Board.  She turned the presentation over to Bill Macheras, assistant director for Student Activities. 
 

Mr. Macheras provided an overview of Brevard Public Schools' athletic program.
 

Effective 2020-21, there will be an FHSAA increase in official fees.  FHSAA sets the maximum fees which Officials Associations can charge.  BPS utilizes MCOA (Mid-Coast Association) for football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, wrestling, baseball, softball and girls' lacrosse. Officials for boys' lacrosse is through FLOA (Florida Lacrosse Officials Association). These officials' association bill the schools for officials, travel fees and yearly administration fees per sport.   Schools pay these fees from monies collected at the gate as well as District Athletic Assistance, fundraising and Pay to Participate fee if the sport has one.
 

Mr. Macheras discussed the estimated officials' fees, the bowling contract negotiations and the lacrosse contract which ends 2020-21. Discussion and questions ensued. There are pros and cons to increasing fees. Fundraising is inequitable across schools. Mr. Susin mentioned advertising on fields as a means of generating dollars before gate fees are raised. Athletic directors in the audience stated that when you have to fundraise just to make ends meet, it is a struggle.  Fundraising should be something to enhance programs; not just to operate.

Ms. Moore interjected at this point and clarified what the Board was requesting as follow-up:

  1. Exactly what the district pays every year
  2. What costs do the schools bear
  3. What are like-size district gate fees
  4. List of suggestions from athletic directors to forward to FHSAA
  5. List of creative things being done at schools to generate revenue
  6. Ask Health First to come to the table with a creative solution like Parrish medical group does to fund athletic trainers.  Mr. Susin would like for Dr. Mullins to get together a workshop to discuss the Parrish Model with Health First.  Dr. Mullins said they will look into it and give the Board an update within 30 days.

Ms. Moore stated that she and her team will get the requested Board requests back to them by March 10, 2020 and will be reaching back to the Board to see what direction they want to go as it relates to helping the high school athletic programs with the anticipated rising costs.
 

Mr. Susin wants to explore an opportunity for middle school lacrosse.  Dr. Mullins cautioned that it would come down to individuals having to do this. Even with community volunteers, there is always impact to employees. There has to be capacity to oversee and manage at the school even if there is no dollar cost.
 

Sue Hann, Assistant Superintendent of Facilities Services provided the Board an overview of the condition of the district's athletic facilities.  She stated that some tracks are in bad condition overall and would be the biggest investment. 

She said we need direction on how we manage  equity and where athletic facilities fall within our priorities.  We need to be clear on where the responsibility lies (school or district). Ms. Hann stated that they need guidance from the Board on how they approach options for improvements.
 

Board members provided feedback regarding the importance of athletics to academic achievement.  There was discussion of adding improvements to athletic facilities as part of the sales surtax initiative. Board members felt that if we offer athletics in our schools, we have an obligation to provide a safe environment.  

Dr. Mullins commented that we have classrooms in our district that are in worse condition than some of our athletic facilities.  We are having the same conversations about classroom renewal. He further commented that our students deserve state of the art classrooms.
 

Mr. Susin brought up studies that correlate strong athletic programs to higher academic achievement.  

 

Closing Remarks
6. Closing Remarks
Adjournment
7. Adjournment

Chairman Belford adjourned the workshop at: 4:43 p.m.

For further details pertaining to this meeting, please refer to the published video on the School Board of Brevard County's website (www.brevardschools.org). 

***The video equipment was not working at the beginning of the meeting.  An alternate recording device was brought in and recording did not begin until 2:20 p.m.***

 

Chairman: ________________________________________ Secretary ________________________________________
Agenda Plus